Hey everyone!! Today we are going to show you a fun DIY on how to make a tree skirt using recycled coffee bean bags!!
1. Get your hands on some coffee bean bags! They can be bought online and some coffee roasters will sell them to you as well!
2. Now you will need to make a pattern! I use a semi circle and cut out 3 pieces. I cut one on the fold, this is the tree skirt front. Then I cut 2 more pieces for the back.
3. Once you have your 3 pieces cut out, you will lay the 2 small pieces along the edge of the one large piece, right sides together. Sew along the center edge using a zig zag stitch, leaving the back seam open so you can place it around your tree. If you have a serger it is nice to finish the edges to prevent them from fraying.
4. Fold the tree skirt in half and then in half again. Cut a semi circle at the top corner to create the opening that will go around the tree trunk.
5. Now it’s time to make the ruffle for the outside edge. I cut strips of fabric that are 4″ wide. The length will depend on how large the tree skirt is and how full you want your ruffle.
Sew along the edge of the fabric, being sure not to back stitch. Once you have sewn along the entire edge, gently pull on the tail of the top thread and the fabric will begin to gather. Once your ruffle is your desired length you will then attach it to the edge of the tree skirt.
That’s is!! You are all done! It is now ready to go under your tree.
You can make holiday appliques to add to the skirt as well, or just leave as is for a truly rustic look!
Here are a couple other skirts that I have made for the holiday season.
I hope this was helpful! Maybe a fun project for the weekend!
You can see these and more of my handmade creations at www.thelittlegreenbean.etsy.com